Close Menu

Classical Civilisation

Classical Civilisation is the study of the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome. Their literature, art and history provide a unique opportunity to explore an entire culture from a variety of different standpoints.

Greek and Latin Literature form the bedrock of Western thought and ideas; study of such works is rewarding not only because they can help us understand ourselves and our own world, but also because the works themselves are passionate, inspiring and profoundly moving.

As the course progresses, the different aspects help you put together a unified and complex view of one of the most fascinating periods of history. In studying this historical period, students acquire increasingly sophisticated skills of comprehension, research, understanding and evaluation, and the ability to write at length, critically and articulately, on subjects that are both challenging and rewarding and vary in subject matter from plays to sculpture, from historical case studies to Classical architecture. Very often we examine one period, such as the Fall of the Roman Republic from various sources: literary, visual, historical. It is an approach that makes for a fascinating mix that is as stimulating as it is refreshing.

Students of Classical Civilisation frequently go on to degree courses in the same or related subject areas, and employers value the discipline for its demanding subject base and its cultivation of analytical and evaluative skills. Classical Civilisation A Level complements A Levels in English and History extremely well and students often find considerable helpful overlap between the subjects, both in content and in skills taught. All texts are studied in English translation.

The syllabus we currently follow allows for a wide variety in subject matter and, for those who have studied Classical Civilisation to GCSE, a change from material covered in the Upper School. The course is open to all girls in the Sixth Form, regardless of whether they have studied Classical subjects in Middle and Upper 5. Students often choose Classical Civilisation to complement their study of History or English, or as a fourth subject to add variety to their A Level portfolio.

Latest HABS news
Latest HABS news
Upcoming Events
Upcoming Events
Back to top