Close Menu

Government and Politics

It is very likely that you will be eligible to vote at the next general election. But do you fully understand how the UK is governed? You will if you take this course.

Of course we study the political parties, but the syllabus covers much more besides. There are many different sources of power in the UK and we study them all - Prime Minister, Cabinet, Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly, Judiciary (aspiring lawyers please note!), pressure groups and last, but certainly not least, parliament.

Politics has gone linear and is now assessed in 3 papers at the end of your 2 year course:
Paper 1
1. Political Participation, students will study:
• Democracy and participation, political parties, electoral systems, voting behaviour and the media.
2. Core Political ideas, students will study:
• Conservatism, liberalism, socialism
Paper 2
1. UK government students will study:
• The constitution, parliament, PM and executive, relationships between the branches
2. One idea from the following:
• Anarchism, ecologism, feminism, multiculturalism.
Paper 3
1. Global Politics, students will study:
• Sovereignty and globalisation, global governance: political and economic, global governance:
Human rights and environmental, power and developments, regionalism and the European Union, comparative theories.

There are obvious opportunities for classroom discussion on up-to-the-minute issues such as Brexit, the new direction of the Labour Party as well as the role of the media in shaping peoples’ views and its impact on voting behaviour. Government & Politics has obvious connections with Religion and Philosophy, History and Economics, and the inclusion of the study of the key thinkers who have shaped the ideologies of conservatism, liberalism and socialism makes it a relevant and powerful subject in this globalised world.

Latest HABS news
Latest HABS news
Upcoming Events
Upcoming Events
Back to top